Use remote_write to ship metrics from new or existing Prometheus installations
Instructions for configuring Prometheus and
remote_write to ship metrics to Grafana Cloud vary depending on how you installed Prometheus into your Kubernetes clusters.
This section will show you how to configure
remote_write for the following common deployment methods:
- Prometheus Operator deployed using either Prometheus Operator or the kube-prometheus stack. See how to configure remote_write with Prometheus Operator.
- Prometheus Operator and kube-prometheus deployed using the Helm kube-prometheus-stack chart. See how to configure remote_write with Helm and kube-prometheus-stack.
- Prometheus deployed using the Prometheus Helm chart. See how to configure remote_write with Helm and Prometheus.
- Prometheus deployed using a Kubernetes Deployment and ConfigMap manifests. See how to configure remote_write with a Prometheus ConfigMap.
If you’re starting from scratch and would like to install Prometheus Operator into a Kubernetes cluster and ship metrics to Grafana Cloud, see:
- Migrating a Kube-Prometheus Helm stack. In this guide, you’ll learn how to install the kube-prometheus-stack Helm chart into your cluster, and ship its metrics to Grafana Cloud. You’ll also optionally learn how to allowlist metrics to reduce usage, and migrate dashboards and rules to Grafana Cloud.
- Installing Prometheus Operator with Grafana Cloud for Kubernetes. In this guide, you’ll install Prometheus Operator into a Kubernetes cluster (without Helm), configure it to scrape itself, and ships these metrics to Grafana Cloud.
Related Grafana Cloud resources
How to set up and visualize synthetic monitoring at scale with Grafana Cloud
Learn how to use Kubernetes, Grafana Loki, and Grafana Cloud’s synthetic monitoring feature to set up your infrastructure's checks in this GrafanaCONline session.
Using Grafana Cloud to drive manufacturing plant efficiency
This GrafanaCONline session tells how Grafana helps a 75-year-old manufacturing company with product quality and equipment maintenance.