Analyze log ingestion volume with Log Volume Explorer
Note: Log Volume Explorer is currently in public preview. Grafana Labs offers limited support, and breaking changes might occur prior to the feature being made generally available.
Log Volume Explorer is a read-only view of log volume that provides a best estimate of where your log traffic is coming from. Using Log Volume Explorer can help you understand where your log data is originating from within your organization based on log labels.
Log Volume Explorer provides two views of your log data:
- Aggregation (Total Volume) - View the top ten logs by volume for the selected labels over the selected time period.
- Time (Ingest rate over time) - View the ingestion rate for the top ten logs by volume for the selected labels.
Note: At this time, Log Volume Explorer is not a precise measurement; it provides a best estimate of log volumes.
View log volume overview
- In Grafana, click Administration > Cost Management > Logs in the main navigation menu.
- On the Logs cost management page, click Log Volume Explorer.
- On the Overview tab, Grafana Cloud displays the top labels by volume over the past hour. Label names are displayed as hover text and at the bottom of the graph.
- (Optional) Note the labels that you want to explore.
View log volume for specific labels
- From the Log Volume Explorer page, click the Log Volume Explorer tab.
- Select a data source.
- Select a time range.
- Choose a label to view the estimated volume.
- Optionally select a value to group by.
- To add additional labels and values, click Add Filter.
- To remove a label from your filter, click the X next to the row.
- Click Submit to view log volume. Grafana Cloud displays the results for your selected labels. Label values and log volume are displayed as hover text and at the bottom of the graph.
- Click Ingest rate over time to view the estimated log ingest volume on disk for the top ten labels over the selected time period.