Note: LLM app plugin is currently in public preview. Grafana Labs offers limited support, and breaking changes might occur prior to the feature being made generally available.
Grafana Cloud offers a range of optional features that leverage Large Language Model (LLM) services. These features are not enabled by default but can be enabled by installing and configuring the Grafana LLM app plugin. Currently, you must provide your own API authentication from supported LLM providers, which include OpenAI and Azure.
The Grafana LLM app is a plugin that centralizes access to Large Language Model (LLM) services across Grafana to secure and simplifies your LLM interactions.
The Grafana LLM application plugin currently serves several key functions:
- Securely stores API keys for LLM providers.
- Acts as a proxy, handling authenticated requests to LLMs. This eliminates the requirement for other Grafana components to manage API keys.
- Enables real-time streaming interactions on the Grafana front end by offering live streams of responses from LLM providers like OpenAI.
Before you begin
Before setting up the Grafana LLM app, you’ll need:
- A Grafana Cloud account, including the Free tier.
- API authentication for LLM access, either from OpenAI or Azure OpenAI. You can obtain an OpenAI API key from OpenAI’s platform, or Azure OpenAI authentication from the Azure OpenAI service.
Installation steps for Enterprise or OSS versions of Grafana are similar. Install the Grafana LLM plugin using the standard plugin installation method for your Grafana version.
For more information, refer to the Plugin management documentation.
Install the LLM plugin
To install the Grafana LLM app plugin, follow these steps:
- In Grafana Cloud, click Administration > Plugins in the side navigation menu.
- Click the All filter to browse all available plugins.
- Browse plugins or search for LLM.
- Click Install the plugin via grafana.com.
- Choose the desired plugin version (if applicable), then click Install plugin.
- Return to Grafana, and perform a search or reload the page (this may take a moment).
- The plugin is now installed but not yet enabled.
- Open the LLM plugin to complete the configuration and enable the plugin.
Note: It may take up to 5 minutes for the plugin to install or update.
Enable the LLM plugin
After the plugin is installed, you must provide your API authentication details to complete the configuration.
To enable the LLM plugin:
- Click to open the LLM plugin.
- Select your OpenAI provider from the dropdown: OpenAI or Azure.
- For OpenAI, enter your OpenAI API key and organization ID.
- For Azure OpenAI: enter your API key and language API endpoint.
- Click Save settings.
- Click Enable to enable the plugin.
Now you can start using LLM-related functionality across Grafana. This includes features like panel title and description generation and Incident Auto-summary, unlocking the full potential of generative AI capabilities in Grafana.