This is documentation for the next version of Grafana. For the latest stable release, go to the latest version.
Refer to Fine-grained access Control in Grafana Enterprise for managing access with fine-grained permissions.
What you can do in Grafana is defined by the permissions associated with your user account.
There are three types of permissions:
- Permissions granted as a Grafana Server Admin
- Permissions associated with your role in an organization
- Permissions granted to a specific folder or dashboard
You can be granted permissions based on:
- Grafana Server Admin status.
- Organization role (Admin, Editor, or Viewer).
- Folder or dashboard permissions assigned to your team (Admin, Editor, or Viewer).
- Folder or dashboard permissions assigned to your user account (Admin, Editor, or Viewer).
- (Grafana Enterprise) Data source permissions. For more information, refer to Data source permissions in Grafana Enterprise.
- (Grafana Cloud) Grafana Cloud has additional roles. For more information, refer to Grafana Cloud roles and permissions.
If you are running Grafana Enterprise, you can grant access by using fine-grained roles and permissions, refer to Fine-grained access Control for more information.
Grafana Server Admin role
Grafana server administrators have the Grafana Admin flag enabled on their account. They can access the Server Admin menu and perform the following tasks:
- Manage users and permissions.
- Create, edit, and delete organizations.
- View server-wide settings that are set in the Configuration file.
- View Grafana server stats, including total users and active sessions.
- Upgrade the server to Grafana Enterprise.
Note: This role does not exist in Grafana Cloud.
Users can belong to one or more organizations. A user’s organization membership is tied to a role that defines what the user is allowed to do in that organization. For more information, refer to Organization roles.
Dashboard and folder permissions
Dashboard and folder permissions allow you to remove the default role based permissions for Editors and Viewers and assign permissions to specific users and teams. Learn more about Dashboard and folder permissions.
Data source permissions
Per default, a data source in an organization can be queried by any user in that organization. For example a user with
Viewer role can still
issue any possible query to a data source, not just those queries that exist on dashboards he/she has access to.
Data source permissions allows you to change the default permissions for data sources and restrict query permissions to specific Users and Teams. For more information, refer to Data source permissions in Grafana Enterprise.
Related Grafana resources
Getting started with Grafana 8
Grafana 8.0 is here! Join us for a live walkthrough on how to get started using Grafana 8 and the Grafana 8 user interface while showing how to set up monitoring for a web service that uses Prometheus and Loki to store metrics and logs.
Unify your data with Grafana plugins: Splunk, MongoDB, Datadog, and more
Show how Grafana can be used to take data from multiple different sources and unify it, without disrupting the investments that are working today.
Demo: Getting started with Grafana Enterprise and observability
Join the Grafana Labs team for a 30-minute demo of how to get started with the Grafana Stack, so you can go from zero to observability in just a few minutes.