Install Grafana on Debian or Ubuntu
This topic explains how to install Grafana dependencies, install Grafana on Linux Debian or Ubuntu, and start the Grafana server on your Debian or Ubuntu system.
There are multiple ways to install Grafana: using the Grafana Labs APT repository, by downloading a
.deb package, or by downloading a binary
.tar.gz file. Choose only one of the methods below that best suits your needs.
Note: If you install via the
.tar.gzfile, then you must manually update Grafana for each new version.
Install from APT repository
If you install from the APT repository, Grafana automatically updates when you run
|Grafana Enterprise (Beta)||grafana-enterprise|
|Grafana OSS (Beta)||grafana|
Note: Grafana Enterprise is the recommended and default edition. It is available for free and includes all the features of the OSS edition. You can also upgrade to the full Enterprise feature set, which has support for Enterprise plugins.
Complete the following steps to install Grafana from the APT repository:
Install the prerequisite packages:bash
sudo apt-get install -y apt-transport-https software-properties-common wget
Import the GPG key:bash
sudo mkdir -p /etc/apt/keyrings/ wget -q -O - https://apt.grafana.com/gpg.key | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/keyrings/grafana.gpg > /dev/null
To add a repository for stable releases, run the following command:bash
echo "deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/grafana.gpg] https://apt.grafana.com stable main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/grafana.list
To add a repository for beta releases, run the following command:bash
echo "deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/grafana.gpg] https://apt.grafana.com beta main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/grafana.list
Run the following command to update the list of available packages:bash
# Updates the list of available packages sudo apt-get update
To install Grafana OSS, run the following command:bash
# Installs the latest OSS release: sudo apt-get install grafana
To install Grafana Enterprise, run the following command:bash
# Installs the latest Enterprise release: sudo apt-get install grafana-enterprise
Install Grafana using a deb package or as a standalone binary
If you choose not to install Grafana using APT, you can download and install Grafana using the deb package or as a standalone binary.
Complete the following steps to install Grafana using DEB or the standalone binaries:
- Navigate to the Grafana download page.
- Select the Grafana version you want to install.
- The most recent Grafana version is selected by default.
- The Version field displays only tagged releases. If you want to install a nightly build, click Nightly Builds and then select a version.
- Select an Edition.
- Enterprise: This is the recommended version. It is functionally identical to the open source version, but includes features you can unlock with a license, if you so choose.
- Open Source: This version is functionally identical to the Enterprise version, but you will need to download the Enterprise version if you want Enterprise features.
- Depending on which system you are running, click the Linux or ARM tab on the download page.
- Copy and paste the code from the download page into your command line and run.
Uninstall on Debian or Ubuntu
Complete any of the following steps to uninstall Grafana.
To uninstall Grafana, run the following commands in a terminal window:
If you configured Grafana to run with systemd, stop the systemd servivce for Grafana server:shell
sudo systemctl stop grafana-server
If you configured Grafana to run with init.d, stop the init.d service for Grafana server:shell
sudo service grafana-server stop
To uninstall Grafana OSS:shell
sudo apt-get remove grafana
To uninstall Grafana Enterprise:shell
sudo apt-get remove grafana-enterprise
Optional: To remove the Grafana repository:bash
sudo rm -i /etc/apt/sources.list.d/grafana.list