Inspector in Explore
The inspector helps you understand and troubleshoot your queries. You can inspect the raw data, export that data to a comma-separated values (CSV) file, export log results in TXT format, and view query requests.
The inspector has following tabs:
- Stats tab - Shows how long your query takes and how much it returns.
- Query tab - Shows you the requests to the server sent when Grafana queries the data source.
- JSON tab - Allows you to view and copy the data JSON and data frame structure JSON.
- Data tab - Shows the raw data returned by the query.
- Error tab - Shows the error. Only visible when query returns error.
You can perform a variety of tasks in the Explore inspector.
Open the Inspector
- Run the query you would like to inspect.
- Click the Inspector button.
The inspector pane opens on the bottom of the screen.
Inspect raw query results
You can view raw query results, that is the data returned by the query in a table.
In the Inspector tab, click the Data tab.
For multiple queries or for queries multiple nodes, there are additional options.
- Show data frame: Select the result set data you want to view.
- Series joined by time: View the raw data from all of your queries at once, one result set per column. You can click a column heading to sort the data.
Download raw query results as CSV
Grafana generates a CSV file in your default browser download location. You can open it in the viewer of your choice.
- In the Inspector tab, raw query results following instructions in (### Inspect raw query results).
- Refine query settings until you can see the raw data that you want to export.
- Click Download CSV.
In order to download a CSV file specifically formatted for Excel, expand Data options and then enable the Download for Excel toggle before you click the Download CSV option.
Download log results as TXT
Grafana generates a TXT file in your default browser download location. You can open it in the viewer of your choice.
- Open the inspector.
- Inspect the log query results as described above.
- Click Download logs.
Inspect query performance
The Stats tab displays statistics that tell you how long your query takes, how many queries you send, and the number of rows returned. This information can help you troubleshoot your queries, especially if any of the numbers are unexpectedly high or low.
- Open the inspector.
- Navigate to the Stats tab.
Statistics are displayed in read-only format.
View JSON model
You can explore and export data as well as data frame JSON models.
- In the Inspector panel, click the JSON tab.
- From the Select source dropdown, choose one of the following options:
- Data - Displays a JSON object representing the data that was returned to Explore.
- DataFrame structure - Displays the raw result set.
- You can expand or collapse portions of the JSON to view separate sections. You can also click the Copy to clipboard option to copy JSON body and paste it into another application.
View raw request and response to data source
- Open the panel inspector and then click the Query tab.
- Click Refresh.
Grafana sends the query to the server and displays the result. You can drill down on specific portions of the query, expand or collapse all of it, or copy the data to the clipboard to use in other applications.
Related Grafana resources
Unify your data with Grafana plugins: Splunk, MongoDB, Datadog, and more
Show how Grafana can be used to take data from multiple different sources and unify it, without disrupting the investments that are working today.
Demo: Getting started with Grafana Enterprise and observability
Join the Grafana Labs team for a 30-minute demo of how to get started with the Grafana Stack, so you can go from zero to observability in just a few minutes.