Important: This documentation is about an older version. It's relevant only to the release noted, many of the features and functions have been updated or replaced. Please view the current version.
Overview of Grafana alerting
Grafana 8.0 has new and improved alerting that centralizes alerting information in a single, searchable view. It is enabled by default for all new OSS instances, and is an opt-in feature for older installations that still use legacy dashboard alerting. We encourage you to create issues in the Grafana GitHub repository for bugs found while testing Grafana alerting. See also, What’s New with Grafana alerting.
When Grafana alerting is enabled, you can:
- Create Grafana managed alerting rules
- Create Cortex or Loki managed alerting rules
- View existing alerting rules and manage their current state
- View the state and health of alerting rules
- Add or edit an alert contact point
- Add or edit notification policies
- Add or edit silences
Before you begin using Grafana alerting, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with some basic concepts of Grafana alerting.
- The Grafana alerting system can retrieve rules from all available Prometheus, Loki, and Alertmanager data sources. It might not be able to fetch rules from other supported data sources.
- We aim to support the latest two minor versions of both Prometheus and Alertmanager. We cannot guarantee that older versions will work. As an example, if the current Prometheus version is
2.31.1, we support >=