Add ad hoc filters
Ad hoc filters allow you to add key/value filters that are automatically added to all metric queries that use the specified data source. Unlike other variables, you do not use ad hoc filters in queries. Instead, you use ad hoc filters to write filters for existing queries.
Note: Ad hoc filter variables only work with InfluxDB, Prometheus, and Elasticsearch data sources.
Enter General options
- Navigate to the dashboard you want to make a variable for and then click the Dashboard settings (gear) icon at the top of the page.
- On the Variables tab, click New.
- Enter a Name for your variable.
- In the Type list, select Ad hoc filters.
- (optional) In Label, enter the display name of the variable dropdown. If you don’t enter a display name, then the dropdown label will be the variable name.
- Choose a Hide option:
- No selection (blank) - The variable dropdown displays the variable Name or Label value. This is the default.
- Label - The variable dropdown only displays the selected variable value and a down arrow.
- Variable - No variable dropdown is displayed on the dashboard.
- In the Data source list, select the target data source. For more information about data sources, refer to Add a data source.
- Click Add to add the variable to the dashboard.
Create ad hoc filters
Ad hoc filters are one of the most complex and flexible variable options available. Instead of a regular list of variable options, this variable allows you to build a dashboard-wide ad hoc query. Filters you apply in this manner are applied to all panels on the dashboard.
Related Grafana resources
GrafanaCONline 2021 is coming June 7-17
Be the first to learn about exciting next-generation features in Grafana 8.0, be inspired by what community members are building, and attend expert-led sessions and workshops on Grafana, Prometheus, Loki logs, and more.
Unify your data with Grafana plugins: Splunk, MongoDB, Datadog, and more
Show how Grafana can be used to take data from multiple different sources and unify it, without disrupting the investments that are working today.
Demo: Getting started with Grafana Enterprise and observability
Join the Grafana Labs team for a 30-minute demo of how to get started with the Grafana Stack, so you can go from zero to observability in just a few minutes.