Get started with Grafana Incident
Grafana Incident is an intelligent incident management tool that helps optimize your incident response. You can use Grafana Incident to integrate with your existing tools, automate administrative tasks and meet your team where they are so you can focus on incident resolution.
Follow this guide or the in-product Setup Wizard to perform the initial configuration to get started with Grafana Incident.
Before you begin
- Grafana Incident is available to all Grafana Cloud users. If you’re not already using Grafana Cloud, create a free account to get started.
- Grafana Cloud Admins can configure Grafana Incident.
For more information, see Grafana Pricing.
Access and configure Grafana Incident
Use the following steps to configure integrations and review your Grafana Incident settings. To get the full value of the tool, we recommend installing 1-2 integrations before declaring incidents.
Access Grafana Incident
- Sign into your Grafana Cloud account.
- Navigate to the left sidebar and select the Grafana Incident icon.
Grafana Incident is now enabled for your Grafana Cloud instance and accessible to users.
Install Slack integration
Grafana Incident works best when integrated with Slack. Since this is your first time using Grafana Incident, we recommend installing the Slack integration first.
Tip: Create a
#incidentchannel in your Slack workspace to designate as the default channel for Grafana Incident to post announcements.
To install the Slack integration for Grafana Incident:
- From the Grafana Incident Slack integration, click Install Integration.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and Slack prompts to enter your workspace URL and Slack credentials.
- Select your default Slack channel in the dropdown menu, and click Allow.
Once you’re redirected back to Grafana Incident, the Incident Chatbot is automatically added to your default channel.
For further configuration guidance, refer to Slack integration for Grafana Incident.
Install video conference integration
Grafana Incident integrates with your tools to automate tasks like creating a Zoom or Google Meet space when an incident is declared.
- Navigate to the Integrations tab of Grafana Incident.
- Select your preferred video conference integration, and click Install Integration.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the integration setup.
For further installation instructions, refer to:
Customizable incident settings allow you to define all aspects of an incident to fit your response needs and team workflows. These settings are pre-configured with common values to get you started so that you can customize these further later on.
With these settings, you can:
- Add incident labels
- Define incident severities and statuses
- Customize Slack channel prefixes
Learn more at Configure Grafana Incident settings.
Declare a drill incident
Now that your initial configuration is complete, try Grafana Incident by creating a drill incident:
- From Grafana Incident, click + New drill.
- Provide a brief title for your test incident.
- Choose values for the remaining incident fields, or you can leave the defaults.
- Click + Start a drill, then open the newly created incident Slack channel and explore the functionality of Grafana Incident.