Grafana Tempo is an open source, easy-to-use and high-scale distributed tracing backend. Tempo is cost-efficient, requiring only object storage to operate, and is deeply integrated with Grafana, Prometheus, and Loki. Tempo can be used with any of the open source tracing protocols, including Jaeger, Zipkin, and OpenTelemetry.
The Tempo project was started at Grafana Labs in 2020 and announced in October at Grafana ObservabilityCON. Tempo is released under the Apache 2.0 License.
Grafana Labs is proud to lead the development of the Tempo project, building first-class support for Tempo into Grafana, and ensuring Grafana Labs customers receive Tempo support and features they need.
- Trace discovery in Grafana Tempo using Prometheus exemplars, Loki 2.0 queries, and more
- ObservabilityCON Day 3 recap: What’s new in Loki 2.0, tracing made easy with Tempo, observability at the Financial Times, and a Minecraft NOC
- Announcing Grafana Tempo, a massively scalable distributed tracing system
- ObservabilityCON 2020: Your guide to the newest announcements from Grafana Labs
Products and Services
Grafana Cloud: Tracing
- Grafana Cloud Agent provides support for Tempo, using the same service discovery as Prometheus and Loki
- Significantly more performance and cost-effective — no more sampling
- Drastically easier to operate — no Cassandra, Elastic etc.
- OpenTelemetry, Zipkin and Jaeger compatible