Grafana Tempo is an open source, easy-to-use and high-scale distributed tracing backend. Tempo is cost-efficient, requiring only object storage to operate, and is deeply integrated with Grafana, Prometheus, and Loki. Tempo can be used with any of the open source tracing protocols, including Jaeger, Zipkin, and OpenTelemetry.
The Tempo project was started at Grafana Labs in 2020 and announced in October at Grafana ObservabilityCON. Tempo is released under the Apache 2.0 License.
Grafana Labs is proud to lead the development of the Tempo project, building first-class support for Tempo into Grafana, and ensuring Grafana Labs customers receive Tempo support and features they need.
- The new Grafana Cloud: the only composable observability stack for metrics, logs, and traces, now with free and paid plans to suit every use case
- ICYMI: The 10 most-read blog posts of 2020
- How we've grown community calls for Grafana, Loki, Tempo, and Tanka this year
- How to find traces in Tempo with Elasticsearch and Grafana
Products and Services
Grafana Cloud: Tracing
- Grafana Cloud Agent provides support for Tempo, using the same service discovery as Prometheus and Loki
- Significantly more performance and cost-effective — no more sampling
- Drastically easier to operate — no Cassandra, Elastic etc.
- OpenTelemetry, Zipkin and Jaeger compatible