Grafana Tempo is an open source, easy-to-use and high-scale distributed tracing backend. Tempo is cost-efficient, requiring only object storage to operate, and is deeply integrated with Grafana, Prometheus, and Loki. Tempo can be used with any of the open source tracing protocols, including Jaeger, Zipkin, and OpenTelemetry.
The Tempo project was started at Grafana Labs in 2020 and announced in October at Grafana ObservabilityCON. Tempo is released under the AGPLv3 license.
Grafana Labs is proud to lead the development of the Tempo project, building first-class support for Tempo into Grafana, and ensuring Grafana Labs customers receive Tempo support and features they need.
Webinars and videos
- Reducing MTTR with Grafana's observability stack: Prometheus, Loki, and Tempo
- Observability-driven development at JPMorgan Chase
- Get started with distributed tracing with Grafana Tempo and Grafana Enterprise Traces
Products and Services
Grafana Cloud: Tracing
- Grafana Agent provides support for Tempo, using the same service discovery as Prometheus and Loki
- Significantly more performance and cost-effective — no more sampling
- Drastically easier to operate — no Cassandra, Elastic etc.
- OpenTelemetry, Zipkin and Jaeger compatible
Grafana Enterprise Traces
- A scalable, self-managed tracing service that links logs and metrics with traces
- Get support and training from Tempo maintainers and experts.
- 24x7x365 coverage comes from our geographically distributed team. Contact us now (link to updated contact form)