Grafana Tempo is an open source, easy-to-use and high-scale distributed tracing backend. Tempo is cost-efficient, requiring only object storage to operate, and is deeply integrated with Grafana, Prometheus, and Loki. Tempo can be used with any of the open source tracing protocols, including Jaeger, Zipkin, and OpenTelemetry.
The Tempo project was started at Grafana Labs in 2020 and announced in October at Grafana ObservabilityCON. Tempo is released under the Apache 2.0 License.
Grafana Labs is proud to lead the development of the Tempo project, building first-class support for Tempo into Grafana, and ensuring Grafana Labs customers receive Tempo support and features they need.
- Intro to exemplars, which enable Grafana Tempo’s distributed tracing at massive scale
- Instrumenting a .NET web API using OpenTelemetry, Tempo, and Grafana Cloud
- Auto-instrumenting a Java Spring Boot application for traces and logs using OpenTelemetry and Grafana Tempo
- A beginner's guide to distributed tracing and how it can increase an application's performance
Products and Services
Grafana Cloud: Tracing
- Grafana Agent provides support for Tempo, using the same service discovery as Prometheus and Loki
- Significantly more performance and cost-effective — no more sampling
- Drastically easier to operate — no Cassandra, Elastic etc.
- OpenTelemetry, Zipkin and Jaeger compatible