The Cortex project was started by Tom Wilkie and Julius Volz in June 2016, joining the CNCF Sandbox in September 2018. It was promoted to CNCF’s Incubation level in August 2020. Cortex lets users to query metrics from many Prometheus servers in a single place, without any gaps in the graphs due to server failure. Cortex also allows users to store Prometheus metrics for long term capacity planning and performance analysis.
Grafana Labs uses Cortex to power our Hosted Prometheus backend for Grafana Cloud. Our contributions to Cortex include massive query performance gains, a horizontally scalable alerting and rule evaluation service and backends for Google Bigtable and Google Cloud Storage. With over three years of experience running Cortex in production, Grafana Cloud offers a stable and reliable platform for all your Prometheus metrics.
Grafana Labs is proud to support the development of the Cortex project by employing Cortex maintainers, building first-class support for Cortex and Prometheus into Grafana, and ensuring Grafana Labs customers receive Cortex support and features they need.
- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon EU recap: What you need to know about OpenMetrics
- Cortex, the scalable Prometheus project, has advanced to incubation within CNCF
- Scaling Prometheus: How we’re pushing Cortex blocks storage to its limit and beyond
- How we're using 'dogfooding' to serve up better alerting for Grafana Cloud
Products and Services
Grafana Cloud: Hosted Prometheus
- Use our high-performance, Prometheus-compatible hosted metrics service to easily and efficiently store metrics for your entire organization.
- Durably store metrics for 13 months for historical analysis.
- No commitments: Pay for only what you use with our usage-based pricing.
Enterprise Support for Cortex
- Get support and training from Cortex maintainers and experts.
- 24x7x365 coverage from our geographically distributed team.
- Per-node pricing scales with your deployment.