The Cortex project was started by Tom Wilkie and Julius Volz in June 2016, joining the CNCF Sandbox in Sept 2018. Cortex lets users to query metrics from many Prometheus servers in a single place, without any gaps in the graphs due to server failure. Cortex also allows users to store Prometheus metrics for long term capacity planning and performance analysis.
Grafana Labs uses Cortex to power our Hosted Prometheus backend for Grafana Cloud. Our contributions to Cortex include massive query performance gains, a horizontally scalable alerting and rule evaluation service and backends for Google Bigtable and Google Cloud Storage. With over three years of experience running Cortex in production, Grafana Cloud offers a stable and reliable platform for all your Prometheus metrics.
Grafana Labs is proud to support the development of the Cortex project by employing Cortex maintainers, building first-class support for Cortex and Prometheus into Grafana, and ensuring Grafana Labs customers receive Cortex support and features they need.
- How we're using 'dogfooding' to serve up better alerting for Grafana Cloud
- What recent optimizations in the Prometheus storage engine, TSDB, will enable in the future
- How the Cortex and Thanos projects collaborate to make scaling Prometheus better for all
- Join our sessions on Prometheus and Cortex at PromCon Online
Products and Services
Grafana Cloud: Hosted Prometheus
- Use our high-performance, Prometheus-compatible hosted metrics service to easily and efficiently store metrics for your entire organization.
- Durably store metrics for 13 months for historical analysis.
- No commitments: Pay for only what you use with our usage-based pricing.
Enterprise Support for Cortex
- Get support and training from Cortex maintainers and experts.
- 24x7x365 coverage from our geographically distributed team.
- Per-node pricing scales with your deployment.
Related Case Studies
Hiya migrated to Grafana Cloud to cut costs and gain control over its metrics
To scale Prometheus, says Senior Software Engineer Jake Utley, Grafana Cloud was ‘the most in line with what we wanted to accomplish.’
How Cortex helped REWE digital ensure stability while scaling grocery delivery services during the COVID-19 pandemic
Cortex’s horizontal scaling has been crucial; reads and writes increased significantly, and the platform was able to handle the added load.
How Gojek is leveraging Cortex to keep up with its ever-growing scale
Gojek’s Lens monitoring system has 40+ tenants, for which Cortex handles about 1.2 million samples per second.