Observability with logs
Grafana Logs (powered by Loki) brings together logs from all your applications and infrastructure in a single place. By using the exact same service discovery and label model as Prometheus, Grafana Logs can systematically guarantee your logs have consistent metadata with your metrics, making it easy to move from one to the other.
Why use Grafana for logging?
Easy to start
- Leverage a wide array of clients for shipping logs like Promtail, Fluentbit, Fluentd, Vector, Logstash, and the Grafana Agent, as well as a host of unofficial clients you can learn about here →
- Use Promtail, our preferred agent, which is extremely flexible and can pull in logs from many sources, including local log files, the systemd journal, GCP, AWS Cloudwatch, AWS EC2 and EKS, Windows events logs, the Docker logging driver, Kubernetes, and Kafka.
- There aren’t any ingestion log formatting requirements — all formats welcome including JSON, XML, CSV, logfmt, unstructured text.
Flexible & cost-effective scale
- Easy to scale from MB to PB a day if needed
- Effectively handles sudden spikes in query and ingestion load
- Horizontally scalable microservice architecture designed for Kubernetes
- Logs are stored in object storage which provides durable, yet affordable long term storage
- Run on everything from your personal Raspberry Pis to your company’s massive, horizontally scaled clusters
A powerful and flexible query language
Grafana Logs uses a similar label format and query language to Prometheus, making it easier to learn and faster to switch between metrics and logs when diagnosing an issue.
- Query logs with the same syntax used for querying metrics
- Write log queries that allow you to dynamically filter and transform your log lines
- Easily calculate metrics from your logs, like the rate of errors or top K sources with the highest log volume
- Minimal indexing at ingest time means you can slice and dice your logs dynamically at query time to answer new questions as they arise
Leverage your existing Prometheus expertise
Effective use of hardware resources
written in Golang
Compatible with your existing tools
“Grafana and Loki have been helpful in having identical stacks making it easier to maintain a scalable infrastructure to support business growth. From a technical perspective, we have completely harmonized metrics across all sides and the data is accessible to anyone in the company which helps in troubleshooting."
Lauren Bel, Head of IT Architecture & Innovation, Pernod Ricard
“Since the time we installed Loki, there has not been a single incident or an instance where Loki went down for us, regardless of the volume of application logs that we were getting.”
Piyush Baderia, DevOps Engineer, Paytm
Choose the version that works best for youTo use Grafana Logs, you have three options:
An open source, horizontally scalable, highly available, multi-tenant log aggregation system inspired by Prometheus.
For users who prefer to set up, administer, and maintain their own installation.
Offered as a fully managed service, Grafana Cloud Logs is a lightweight and cost-effective log aggregation system based on Grafana Loki.
Managed and administered by Grafana Labs with free and paid options for individuals, teams, and large enterprises.
Includes a robust free tier with access to 50GB of logs.
A self-managed logging solution that runs securely at scale with expert support from Grafana Labs.
For organizations that have specific privacy or security requirements and need a self-managed environment.
Effective debugging and troubleshooting
Grafana Logs are systematically and consistently labelled in the same way as Prometheus metrics and uses the same Service Discover mechanism. This guarantees that you can always find the logs for a given graph, allowing for faster troubleshooting in one UI with a few clicks.
- Reduces the amount of time it takes to get to the root cause of a problem
- Easily correlate your metrics, logs and traces all in Grafana
Visualize metrics as logs
You might already know that you can use Prometheus and Graphite metrics for monitoring, but you can also create metrics from your logs.
- Find the logs for a given graph, allowing for faster troubleshooting in one UI with a few clicks
- Helpful when you can’t instrument your application with metrics or when dealing with high cardinality
Prometheus alerting for your Logs
- Use your existing receiver config and send alerts to multiple notification channels, email, PagerDuty, Slack, webhooks, and more
- Generate alerts directly from your logs and send them to a Prometheus Alertmanager
Gradually transition off of your costly or legacy logging tools
- Visualize log data from your current logging tool (such as Splunk, Elastic, or other providers) alongside your Grafana Logs data
- Avoid vendor lock-in and give your teams the tools they actually want to use
- Create meta panels or comparisons between sources
Correlate your data
Understanding all relevant data — and the relationships between them — is important for root-causing incidents as quickly as possible and identifying the real source of unexpected system behavior. Grafana allows teams to seamlessly visualize and move among all of their data, all in one place.