I am getting error message ‘Too many jobs in the queue’
The error message might also be
queue doesn't have room for 100 jobs
failed to add a job to work queue
You may see this error if the compactor isn’t running and the blocklist size has exploded. Possible reasons why the compactor may not be running are:
- Insufficient permissions.
- Compactor sitting idle because no block is hashing to it.
- Incorrect configuration settings.
Diagnosing the issue
- Check metric
tempodb_compaction_bytes_written_totalIf this is greater than zero (0), it means the compactor is running and writing to the backend.
- Check metric
tempodb_compaction_errors_totalIf this metric is greater than zero (0), check the logs of the compactor for an error message.
- Verify that the Compactor has the LIST, GET, PUT, and DELETE permissions on the bucket objects.
- If these permissions are missing, assign them to the compactor container.
- For detailed information, check - https://grafana.com/docs/tempo/latest/configuration/s3/#permissions
- If there’s a compactor sitting idle while others are running, port-forward to the compactor’s http endpoint. Then go to
/compactor/ringand click Forget on the inactive compactor.
- Check the following configuration parameters to ensure that there are correct settings:
max_block_bytesto determine when the ingester cuts blocks. A good number is anywhere from 100MB to 2GB depending on the workload.
max_compaction_objectsto determine the max number of objects in a compacted block. This should relatively high, generally in the millions.
retention_durationfor how long traces should be retained in the backend.
- Check the storage section of the config and increase
queue_depth. Do bear in mind that a deeper queue could mean longer waiting times for query responses. Adjust
max_workersaccordingly, which configures the number of parallel workers that query backend blocks.
storage: trace: pool: max_workers: 100 # worker pool determines the number of parallel requests to the object store backend queue_depth: 10000
Related Tempo resources
Be the first to learn about exciting next-generation features in Grafana 8.0, be inspired by what community members are building, and attend expert-led sessions and workshops on Grafana, Prometheus, Loki logs, and more.
Getting started with tracing and Grafana Tempo
In this session, we will use an instrumented application to demonstrate how to use logs and Prometheus exemplars to find traces effectively in Tempo. The demo will hit on the basics of operating Tempo and reveal how Tempo allows us to scale tracing as far as possible with less operational cost and complexity than ever before.