Users can be belong to one or more organizations. A user’s organization membership is tied to a role that defines what the user is allowed to do in that organization.
Can do everything scoped to the organization. For example:
- Add & Edit data sources.
- Add & Edit organization users & teams.
- Configure App plugins & set org settings.
- Can create and modify dashboards & alert rules. This can be disabled on specific folders and dashboards.
- Cannot create or edit data sources nor invite new users.
This role can be tweaked via Grafana server setting editors_can_admin. If you set this to true users with Editor can also administrate dashboards, folders and teams they create. Useful for enabling self organizing teams.
- View any dashboard. This can be disabled on specific folders and dashboards.
- Cannot create or edit dashboards nor data sources.
This role can be tweaked via Grafana server setting viewers_can_edit. If you set this to true users with Viewer can also make transient dashboard edits, meaning they can modify panels & queries but not save the changes (nor create new dashboards). Useful for public Grafana installations where you want anonymous users to be able to edit panels & queries but not save or create new dashboards.