Slack integration for Grafana OnCall
The Slack integration for Grafana OnCall incorporates your Slack workspace directly into your incident response workflow to help your team focus on alert resolution with less friction.
Integrating your Slack workspace with Grafana OnCall allows users and teams to be notified of alerts directly in Slack with automated alert escalation steps and user notification preferences. There are a number of alert actions that users can take directly from Slack, including acknowledge, resolve, add resolution notes, and more.
Before you begin
To install the Slack integration, you must have Admin permissions in your Grafana instance as well as the Slack workspace that you’d like to integrate with.
For Open Source Grafana OnCall Slack installation guidance, refer to Open Source Grafana OnCall.
Install Slack integration for Grafana OnCall
- From the ChatOps tab in Grafana OnCall, select Slack in the side menu.
- Click Install Slack integration.
- Read the notice and agree to proceed to the Slack website.
- Provide your Slack workspace URL and sign with your Slack credentials.
- Click Allow to give Grafana OnCall permission to access your Slack workspace.
Post-install configuration for Slack integration
Configure the following additional settings to ensure Grafana OnCall alerts are routed to the intended Slack channels and users:
- From your Slack integration settings, select a default slack channel in the first dropdown menu. This is where alerts will be sent unless otherwise specified in escalation chains.
- In Additional Settings, configure alert reminders for alerts to retrigger after being acknowledged for some amount of time.
- Ensure all users verify their slack account in their Grafana OnCall users info.
Configure Escalation Chains with Slack notifications
Once your Slack integration is configured you can configure Escalation Chains to notify via Slack messages for alerts in Grafana OnCall.
There are two Slack notification options that you can configure into escalation chains, notify whole Slack channel and notify Slack user group:
- In Grafana OnCall, navigate to the Escalation Chains tab then select an existing escalation chain or click + New escalation chain.
- Click the dropdown for Add escalation step.
- Configure your escalation chain with automated Slack notifications.
Configure user notifications with Slack mentions
To be notified of alerts in Grafana OnCall via Slack mentions:
- Navigate to the Users tab in Grafana OnCall, click Edit next to a user.
- In the User Info tab, edit or configure notification steps by clicking + Add Notification step
- select Notify by in the first dropdown and select Slack mentions in the second dropdown to receive alert notifications via Slack mentions.
Configure on-call notifications in Slack
The Slack integration for Grafana Oncall supports automated Slack on-call notifications that notify individuals and teams of their on-call shifts. Admins can configure shift notification behavior in Notification preferences:
- When an on-call shift notification is sent to a person or channel, click the gear icon to access Notifications preferences.
- Configure on-call notifications for future shift notifications.
Related Oncall resources
Getting started with Grafana OnCall for on-call management
This webinar goes over initial Grafana OnCall configuration, setting up an on-call management process, grouping, alert rendering, and organizing runbooks.
Unified alerting and on-call management in Grafana
In this webinar, we’ll demo the Grafana 8 unified alerting system, and introduce Grafana OnCall, our on-call management tool to resolve incidents faster.
Reducing resolution time (MTTR) with the Grafana Stack: Metrics, logs, tracing, & on-call management
See a live demo of Grafana OnCall, and how to correlate your metrics, logs, and traces to reduce you /MTTR using Grafana’s “single pane of glass” approach.