Releasing Grafana Loki
This document is a series of instructions for core Grafana Loki maintainers to be able to publish a new Loki release.
Each maintainer performing a release should perform the following steps once before releasing Loki.
Signing Tags and Commits
Add Existing GPG Key to GitHub
First, Navigate to your user’s SSH and GPG keys settings page. If the GPG key for the email address used to commit with Loki is not present, follow these instructions to add it:
gpg --armor --export <your email address>
- Copy the output.
- In the settings page linked above, click “New GPG Key”.
- Copy and paste the PGP public key block.
Signing Commits and Tags by Default
To avoid accidentally publishing a tag or commit without signing it, you can run the following to ensure all commits and tags are signed:
git config --global commit.gpgSign true git config --global tag.gpgSign true
macOS Signing Errors
If you are on macOS and using an encrypted GPG key, the
gpg-agent may be
unable to prompt you for your private key passphrase. This will be denoted by an
error when creating a commit or tag. To circumvent the error, add the following
~/.zshrc, depending on which shell you are
Performing the Release
- Create a new branch to update
CHANGELOG.mdand references to version numbers across the entire repository (e.g. README.md in the project root).
CHANGELOG.mdwith the new version number and its release date.
- List all the merged PRs since the previous release. This command is helpful
for generating the list (modifying the date to the date of the previous release):
curl https://api.github.com/search/issues?q=repo:grafana/loki+is:pr+"merged:>=2019-08-02" | jq -r ' .items | "* [" + (.number|tostring) + "](" + .html_url + ") **" + .user.login + "**: " + .title'
- Go through
docs/and find references to the previous release version and update them to reference the new version.
- Without creating a tag, create a commit based on your changes and open a PR
for updating the release notes.
- Until 852 is fixed, updating Helm and Ksonnet configs needs to be done in a separate commit following the release tag so that Helm tests pass.
- Merge the changelog PR.
- Create a new tag for the release.
Once this step is done, the CI will be triggered to create release artifacts and publish them to a draft release. The tag will be made publicly available immediately.
Run the following to create the tag:
RELEASE=v1.2.3 # UPDATE ME to reference new release git checkout master # If not already on master git pull git tag -s $RELEASE -m "tagging release $RELEASE" git push origin $RELEASE
- Watch CircleCI and wait for all the jobs to finish running.
Updating Helm and Ksonnet configs
These steps should be executed after the previous section, once CircleCI has finished running all the release jobs.
- When prompted for the release version, enter the latest tag.
- When prompted for new Helm version numbers, the defaults should suffice (a minor version bump).
- Commit the changes to a new branch, push, make a PR, and get it merged.
Publishing the Release Draft
Once the previous two steps are completed, you can publish your draft!
- Go to the GitHub releases page and find the drafted release.
- Edit the drafted release, copying and pasting notable changes from the CHANGELOG. Add a link to the CHANGELOG, noting that the full list of changes can be found there. Refer to other releases for help with formatting this.
- Optionally, have other team members review the release draft so you feel comfortable with it.
- Publish the release!
Versioning Loki docs on Grafana Website
Loki docs are versioned. Follow the below steps to version Loki docs for this release.
NOTE: Here $LOCAL_LOKI_PATH is your local path where Loki is checked out with correct $VERSION
- Clone Grafana website repo
- Create new branch
git checkout -b $VERSION(replace
$VERSIONwith current release version. e.g:
mv content/docs/loki/next content/docs/loki/next.main
cp -R $LOCAL_LOKI_PATH/docs/sources/* content/docs/loki/next
scripts/docs-release.sh loki latest next
scripts/docs-release.sh loki $VERSION latest
mv content/docs/loki/next.main content/docs/loki/next
- Docs will be generated for this release.
- Create PR and Merge it after approval.