This is documentation for the next version of Grafana. For the latest stable release, go to the latest version.
Silence alert notifications
Grafana allows to you to prevent notifications from one or more alert rules by creating a silence. This silence lasts for a specified window of time.
Silences do not prevent alert rules from being evaluated. They also do not stop alert instances being shown in the user interface. Silences only prevent notifications from being created.
Grafana alerting UI allows you to configure silences for the Grafana managed alerts (handled by the embedded Alertmanager) as well as silences for an external Alertmanager if one is configured, using the Alertmanager dropdown.
Note: Currently the configuration of the embedded Alertmanager is shared across organisations. Therefore users are advised to use the new Grafana 8 Alerts only if they have one organisation otherwise silences for the Grafana managed alerts will be visible by all organizations.
Add a silence
To add a silence:
- In the Grafana menu, hover your cursor over the Alerting (bell) icon and then select Silences (crossed out bell icon).
- Click the New Silence button.
- Select the start and end date in Silence start and end to indicate when the silence should go into effect and expire.
- Optionally, update the Duration to alter the time for the end of silence in the previous step to correspond to the start plus the duration.
- Enter one or more Matching Labels by filling out the Name and Value fields. Matchers determine which rules the silence will apply to.
- Enter a Comment.
- Enter the name of the owner in Creator.
- Click Create.
How label matching works
Alert instances that have labels that match all of the “Matching Labels” specified in the silence will have their notifications suppressed.
- The Label field is the name of the label to match. It must exactly match the label name.
- The Value field matches against the corresponding value for the specified Label name. How it matches depends on the Regex and Equal checkboxes.
- The Regex checkbox specifies if the inputted Value should be matched against labels as a regular expression. The regular expression is always anchored. If not selected it is an exact string match.
- The Equal checkbox specifies if the match should include alert instances that match or do not match. If not checked, the silence includes alert instances do not match.
Viewing and editing silences
- In the Grafana menu hover your cursor over the Alerting (bell) icon, then select Silences (crossed out bell icon).
- To end the silence, click the Unsilence option next to the listed silence. Silences that have ended are still listed and are automatically removed after 5 days. There is no method for manual removal.
- To edit a silence, click the pencil icon next to the listed silence. Edit the silence using instructions on how to create a silence.
- Click Submit to save your changes.
Manage silences for an external Alertmanager
Grafana alerting UI supports managing external Alertmanager silences. Once you add an Alertmanager data source, a dropdown displays at the top of the page where you can select either
Grafana or an external Alertmanager as your data source.
Create a URL to silence form with defaults filled in
When linking to silence form, you can provide default matching labels and comment via
comment query parameters.
matchers expects one more matching labels of type
[label][operator][value] joined by a comma.
operator can be one of
= (equals, not regex),
!= (not equals, not regex),
=~ (equals, regex),
!~ (not equals, not regex).
For example, to link to silence form with matching labels
cluster!~europe-.* and comment
Silence critical EU alerts, create a URL
To link to a new silence page for an external Alertmanager, add a
alertmanager query parameter with the Alertmanager data source name.
Related Grafana resources
Unify your data with Grafana plugins: Splunk, MongoDB, Datadog, and more
Show how Grafana can be used to take data from multiple different sources and unify it, without disrupting the investments that are working today.
Demo: Getting started with Grafana Enterprise and observability
Join the Grafana Labs team for a 30-minute demo of how to get started with the Grafana Stack, so you can go from zero to observability in just a few minutes.