Add a data source variable
Data source variables allow you to quickly change the data source for an entire dashboard. They are useful if you have multiple instances of a data source, perhaps in different environments.
Enter General options
- Navigate to the dashboard you want to make a variable for and then click the Dashboard settings (gear) icon at the top of the page.
- On the Variables tab, click New.
- Enter a Name for your variable.
- In the Type list, select Datasource.
- (optional) In Label, enter the display name of the variable dropdown. If you don’t enter a display name, then the dropdown label will be the variable name.
- Choose a Hide option:
- No selection (blank) - The variable dropdown displays the variable Name or Label value. This is the default.
- Label - The variable dropdown only displays the selected variable value and a down arrow.
- Variable - No variable dropdown is displayed on the dashboard.
Enter Data source options
- In the Type list, select the target data source for the variable. For more information about data sources, refer to Add a data source.
- (optional) In Instance name filter, enter a regex filter for which data source instances to choose from in the variable value drop-down list. Leave this field empty to display all instances.
- (optional) Enter Selection Options.
- In Preview of values, Grafana displays a list of the current variable values. Review them to ensure they match what you expect.
- Click Add to add the variable to the dashboard.
Related Grafana resources
Unify your data with Grafana plugins: Splunk, MongoDB, Datadog, and more
Show how Grafana can be used to take data from multiple different sources and unify it, without disrupting the investments that are working today.
Demo: Getting started with Grafana Enterprise and observability
Join the Grafana Labs team for a 30-minute demo of how to get started with the Grafana Stack, so you can go from zero to observability in just a few minutes.