State and Health of alerting rule
The concepts of state and health for alerting rules help you understand, at a glance, several key status indicators about your alerts. Alert state, alerting rule state, and alerting rule health are related, but they each convey subtly different information.
Alerting rule state
Indicates whether any of the timeseries resulting from evaluation of the alerting rule are in an alerting state. Alerting rule state only requires a single alerting instance to be in a pending or firing state for the alerting rule state to not be normal.
- Normal: none of the timeseries returned are in an alerting state.
- Pending: at least one of the timeseries returned are in a pending state.
- Firing: at least one of the timeseries returned are in an alerting state.
Alert state is an indication of the output of the alerting evaluation engine.
- Normal: the condition for the alerting rule has evaluated to false for every timeseries returned by the evaluation engine.
- Alerting: the condition for the alerting rule has evaluated to true for at least one timeseries returned by the evaluation engine and the duration, if set, has been met or exceeded.
- Pending: the condition for the alerting rule has evaluated to true for at least one timeseries returned by the evaluation engine and the duration, if set, has not been met or exceeded.
- NoData: the alerting rule has not returned a timeseries, all values for the timeseries are null, or all values for the timeseries are zero.
- Error: There was an error encountered when attempting to evaluate the alerting rule.
Alerting rule health
Indicates the status of alerting rule evaluation.
- Ok: the rule is being evaluated, data is being returned, and no errors have been encountered.
- Error: an error was encountered when evaluating the alerting rule.
- NoData: at least one of the timeseries returned during evaluation is in a NoData state.
Related Grafana resources
Unify your data with Grafana plugins: Splunk, MongoDB, Datadog, and more
Show how Grafana can be used to take data from multiple different sources and unify it, without disrupting the investments that are working today.
Demo: Getting started with Grafana Enterprise and observability
Join the Grafana Labs team for a 30-minute demo of how to get started with the Grafana Stack, so you can go from zero to observability in just a few minutes.