Manage alerting rules
The Alerting page lists existing Grafana 8 alerting rules. By default, rules are grouped by types of data sources. The Grafana section lists all Grafana managed rules. Alerting rules for Prometheus compatible data sources are also listed here. You can view alerting rules for Prometheus compatible data sources but you cannot edit them.
The Cortex/Loki rules section lists all rules for external Prometheus or Loki data sources. Cloud alerting rules are also listed in this section.
View alerting rules
To view alerting details:
- In the Grafana menu, click the Alerting (bell) icon to open the Alerting page. By default, the group view displays.
- In View as, toggle between group or state views by clicking the relevant option. See Group view and State view for more information.
- Expand the rule row to view the rule labels, annotations, data sources the rule queries, and a list of alert instances resulting from this rule.
Group view shows Grafana alert rules grouped by folder and Loki or Prometheus alert rules grouped by
group. This is the default rule list view, intended for managing rules. You can expand each group to view a list of rules in this group. Expand a rule further to view its details. You can also expand action buttons and alerts resulting from the rule to view their details.
State view shows alert rules grouped by state. Use this view to get an overview of which rules are in what state. Each rule can be expanded to view its details. Action buttons and any alerts generated by this rule, and each alert can be further expanded to view its details.
Filter alerting rules
To filter alerting rules:
- From Select data sources, select a data source. You can see alerting rules that query the selected data source.
- In the Search by label, enter search criteria using label selectors. For example,
- From Filter alerts by state, select an alerting state you want to see. You can see alerting rules that match the state. Rules matching other states are hidden.
Edit or delete an alerting rule
Grafana managed alerting rules can only be edited or deleted by users with Edit permissions for the folder storing the rules. Alerting rules for an external Cortex or Loki instance can be edited or deleted by users with Editor or Admin roles. To edit or delete a rule:
Related Grafana resources
Unify your data with Grafana plugins: Splunk, MongoDB, Datadog, and more
Show how Grafana can be used to take data from multiple different sources and unify it, without disrupting the investments that are working today.
Getting started with Grafana Enterprise and observability
Join the Grafana Labs team for a 30-minute demo of how to get started with the Grafana Stack, so you can go from zero to observability in just a few minutes.