About web-based schedules
Grafana OnCall allows you to map out recurring on-call coverage and automate the escalation of alert notifications to on-call users. Configure and manage on-call schedules directly in the Grafana OnCall plugin to easily customize rotations with a live schedule preview, reference teammates’ time zones, and add overrides.
This topic provides an overview of key components and features.
For information on how to create a schedule in Grafana OnCall, refer to Create an on-call schedule
Note: User permissions determine which components of Grafana OnCall are available to you.
Schedule settings are initially configured when a new schedule is created and can be updated at any time by clicking the gear icon next to an existing schedule.
Available schedule settings:
- Slack channel: Choose a primary Slack channel to send notifications about on-call shifts, such as unassigned on-call shifts.
- Slack user group: Choose a Slack user group to receive current on-call updates.
- Notification frequency: Specify whether or not to send shift notifications to scheduled team members.
- Action for slot when no one is on-call: Define how your team is notified when an empty shift causes a gap in on-call coverage.
- Current shift notification settings: Select how users are notified when their on-call shift begins.
- Next shift notification settings: Specify how users are notified of upcoming shifts.
The schedule view is a detailed calendar representation of your on-call schedule. It contains three interactive weekly calendars and a 24-hour on-call status bar for visualizing who’s on-call and what time it is for your teammates.
Understand your schedule view:
- Final schedule: The final schedule provides a combined view of rotations and overrides
- Rotations: The rotations calendar represents all recurring on-call rotations for a given schedule.
- Overrides: The override calendar represents temporary adjustments to the recurring on-call schedule. Any events on this calendar will take precedence over the rotations calendar.
Export on-call schedules from Grafana OnCall to your preferred calendar app with a one-time secret iCal URL. The schedule export allows you to view on-call shifts alongside the rest of your schedule.
For more information, refer to Export on-call schedules