Namespaces and rule groups
By default, all alerting and recording rules created in Grafana Cloud Alerting will default to a single namespace and a single rule group.
While Grafana Cloud Alerting does support viewing multiple namespaces that have been added through the cortextool, it is currently not possible to add new namespaces or to rename the existing ones.
Managing rule groups
Rule groups can be managed directly within the Grafana Cloud Alerting interface or through the cortextool, similar to managing namespaces.
Note: By default, Grafana Cloud limits the number of rule groups to 20, with a limit of up to 15 rules per group. If you wish to increase the default limits, please open a support ticket or reach out to your account manager.
Create a new rule group:
- In Grafana, hover your cursor over the Grafana Cloud Alerting icon and then click Alerts and rules.
- If you have more than one Prometheus or Loki data source, there will be a dropdown at the top for you to select the data source to create or edit rules.
- Click Create new rule group.
- Enter text to name your new rule group.
- Enter text for the new rule in your new rule group, according to regular Prometheus rule configuration guidelines:
- When you are finished naming your new rule group and adding new rule details, click Save.
Note: In order to create a new rule group, you must also create a new rule for it.
Update a rule group
Existing rule groups can be renamed by selecting the pencil icon next to the rule group name.
Delete a rule group
Rule groups will be automatically deleted once the all rules within a group are deleted.