We’re taking ObservabilityCON on the road and setting up Grafana’s big tent in the Bay Area
Learn what’s new and next in open source observability and see how you can leverage the Grafana LGTM Stack to achieve your business goals.
Open source observability updates
Hear what’s new in the open source observability landscape and connect with community members
Technical tips and tricks
See how recent developments in the LGTM stack can help you optimize telemetry costs, shift left with performance testing, and streamline incident response
Get your technical questions about Prometheus, OpenTelemetry, and other open source observability topics answered by Grafana Labs experts
Community success stories
Learn from users who are transforming their approach to observability, managing exploding telemetry data volumes, and slashing MTTR
- 9:00 AM 10:00 AM
Registration + ExpoEnjoy a light breakfast while networking with attendees and exploring Grafana demos in the Expo hall
- 10:00 AM 10:45 AM
ObservabilityCON on the Road KeynoteLive in Bay Area, it’s ObservabilityCON on the Road! Join Jen Villa for a look at the latest trends across the observability ecosystem and developments in the open and composable LGTM (Loki-Grafana-Tempo-Mimir) observability stack.
- Jen Villa, Senior Group Product Manager, Grafana Labs
- 10:45 AM 11:15 AM
How to reduce observability costs by controlling metrics growthThe shift to cloud native architectures and increased developer autonomy to instrument applications has caused an explosive growth of metrics data and cardinality. But more data does not mean better observability: It can be difficult to balance scale while managing costs. Learn how Grafana Cloud can help lower your observability bills. By regulating metrics growth through governance and unique customized aggregations, you optimize your costs and pay closer to what you actually use.
- David Ryder, Principal Solutions Engineer, Grafana Labs
- 11:15 AM 11:45 AM
From Grafana 2.1.0 to today: the long, winding, and successful monitoring journey at SlackWith a mission of ensuring that thousands of companies and millions of users could continuously and seamlessly connect, the monitoring team at Slack has used Grafana in production since v2.1, beginning in December 2015. Join George Luong, Engineering Manager in charge of Slack’s Monitoring team, as he walks through the company’s monitoring journey from the before times, as they deployed unintuitive dashboarding systems, to their current Grafana Enterprise-powered system, which provides dashboards for everyone from front-line developers to C-suite executives. Along the way, see how they’ve turned to Grafana Alerting to power 50% of all alerts at Slack, adopted a dashboards-as-code ethos, and even built out a Global Health Dashboard so they can address any issue before it hits customers.
- George Luong, Engineering Manager, Slack
- 11:45 AM 12:45 PM
- 12:45 PM 1:15 PM
How to manage the tradeoff between cost and coverage for observability logs
Logs have always been, and continue to be, a critical part of the troubleshooting workflow for observability and SRE teams. But the reputation of legacy solutions being expensive on budgets and resources – for storing and querying – results in teams making tradeoffs on which services and applications to instrument logging. This creates observability blind spots.
Learn how Grafana Loki can help you optimize multiple stages of your logging lifecycle – from supporting multiple log formats and smaller indexing, to blazing fast querying and long-term retention. Uniquely built on Prometheus architecture, Grafana Loki is a cost-effective logging solution purpose built for observability.
- Christine Wang, Solutions Engineer Manager, Grafana Labs
- Jordan Rushing, Senior Software Engineer, Grafana Labs
- 1:15 PM 1:45 PM
The journey to unified and intelligent observability infrastructure at Roblox
With roughly 100 million global active users, Roblox understands that its success relies on healthy and scalable infrastructure. And that means having a healthy and scalable observability solution.
Over the past two years, the Roblox team has made significant changes to its observability platform – including telemetry metrics, logging, and tracing – resulting in memorable migration stories, some hard-earned lessons, and a great vision for the future. Join Director of Engineering Xiaofeng Han and Principal Engineer Ying Dai as they cover the journey of evolving observability and engineering practices at Roblox, collaborating with Grafana Labs while adopting Grafana for visualizing metrics and logs and Grafana Tempo for traces, and changing the culture at Roblox for the better.
- Xiaofeng Han, Director of Engineering, Roblox
- Ying Dai, Principal Engineer, Roblox
- 1:45 PM 2:15 PM
How to avoid the most common Kubernetes monitoring mistakes
Which metrics should you collect? What dashboards are best suited to effectively monitor Kubernetes clusters? How do you measure resource utilization for capacity planning? Often, this is all a game of trial and error – and one that business-critical services cannot afford.
Learn how Grafana Cloud’s K8s monitoring solution was built so you can avoid the guessing game and kickstart your K8s observability strategy in minutes. In this session, we break down the most common Kubernetes monitoring mistakes and share best practices on how to set up Kubernetes monitoring the optimal way.
- Éamon Ryan, Principal Field Engineer, Grafana Labs
- 2:15 PM 2:45 PM
- 2:45 PM 3:15 PM
How to prioritize critical resources through SLO-driven Incident Response & Management
Prioritizing performance issues based on business impact is often challenging because it is hard to quantify the right SLO/SLI levels.
Learn how you can build an SLO framework that unifies data from multiple disparate tools and is integrated into a seamless incident management workflow with Grafana OnCall and Incident. You can then prioritize responding to the most critical error budget burndowns, allowing your critical developers to focus on innovation rather than firefighting performance issues.
- Bob Cotton, Distinguished Engineer, Grafana Labs
- 3:15 PM 3:45 PM
How to prevent issues from hitting customers by using load testing and tracing togetherWith the increased demand to ship new features, developers can overlook the importance of catching and resolving performance issues before they hit end users in production. Learn how Grafana’s unique solution of k6 performance testing correlated with Grafana Tempo distributed tracing can help developers easily prevent performance problems before they become an issue.
- Wei Li, Product Marketing Manager, Grafana Labs
- Zach Leslie, Software Engineer, Grafana Labs
- 3:45 PM 4:45 PM
Reception + ExpoJoin us for appetizers and beverages while networking with attendees and meeting Grafana experts in the Expo hall
Thank you to our ObservabilityCON 2023 sponsors:
- Is there a code of conduct for the event?
- Yes. By registering, all attendees at any event hosted by Grafana Labs are required to comply with the event code of conduct and event terms and conditions.
- What is your refund policy for passes? If I cannot attend, can I transfer my ticket?
- Tickets are non-refundable, but you can request to transfer your ticket to someone else by emailing email@example.com.
- Do you require everyone to be fully vaccinated to attend?
- Attendees are not required to be vaccinated in order to attend the event.
- Will masks be required at the conference?
- Mask-wearing is up to the discretion of the attendee. This policy is subject to change based on local mandates and guidance. All participants will be notified prior to arrival if this policy changes. Participants are asked to be respectful of each other’s comfort level on social distance. We will provide a visual indicator of social distance comfort levels for event participants to wear onsite (optional but encouraged).
- Are there sponsorship opportunities available for this event?
- There are a limited number of sponsorship opportunities available for this year’s event. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- How can I register?
- You can register by purchasing a ticket on our website. Once payment has been processed, you will receive a confirmation email with your ticket.
- Do I need to print my tickets?
- You are not required to print your ticket; you can simply show one of our team members your ticket directly from your tablet or mobile phone upon arrival at the check-in desk. A valid photo ID is also an acceptable form of proof of registration.
- What time should I arrive?
- Registration will open at 9:00 a.m. Please ensure you check in at the registration desk and collect your name badge. If you arrive before registration is open, please wait at the entrance hall of the venue until a member of the staff lets you in.
- Can I purchase a ticket at the venue?
- We kindly ask participants to purchase tickets ahead of the event via our website. Tickets will not be available to be purchased on-site.
- May guests attend the event?
- The event is limited only to attendees in possession of a valid ticket.
- Are food and drinks included with my registration?
- Light breakfast, buffet lunch, and an evening reception with hosted beer, wine and canapés will be served. Snacks and beverages will be available to you throughout the duration of the event. If you are attending the event and have severe food allergies, please email us at email@example.com
- Is parking available onsite?
- Parking is available onsite for $15.00/day. Validation will not be provided.
- Is public transportation available nearby?
- The San Antonio Caltrain stop is located 1 mile from the venue. The Mountain View Caltrain stop is located 3 miles from the venue. The Palo Alto Caltrain stop is located 4 miles from the venue.
- What is the dress code for the event?
- Business casual.
- What should I bring onsite?
- Come prepared with questions you would like to ask our experts. You can bring your laptops, tablets, and mobile phones. WiFi will be made available throughout the conference rooms.
- Will you have a coat check for the event?
- The venue does not have a coat check available to guests.
- What if I need special access requirements?
- If you have any special access requirements, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org upon registration, and we can make necessary arrangements to enable your attendance.
- Will content be available on demand?
- The majority of the content will not be available on-demand. We highly encourage you to attend the event in-person to get the most out of the sessions.
- Have additional questions?
- Please direct any additional questions to email@example.com
Not what you were looking for?
Find a Grafana Labs event near you
From local meetups to virtual webinars and in-person GrafanaLive events, there’s plenty more to explore.See all events